About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall Colors of a Beautiful Mountain Range

We have a family ritual that we do every year in early October.  We find a place fairly close to us where we feel that the brighest fall colors can be found and have a picnic.  This year as with all years since moving to the Las Vegas area we went to the Mount Charleston region.

Fall view overlooking the ski area near Las Vegas
Entrance to the Las Vegas Ski Area
A look at the Las Vegas Ski Lodge

Our first stop was the Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort.  Yes, there is a ski area near Vegas.  I was surprised too when I found out.  It is close to 9000' (3000 m) in elevation.  In fact, a couple of years ago I remember skiing there on the first day of business.  It was October 7th.   It was hard to believe that a ski area near Vegas could be open that early but I was there and it was.  :) 
View from Mary Jane Falls trail near Las Vegas, NV

Anyhow, after having our picnic at a nearby national forest picnic area, we traveled to my favorite trail in the area called Mary Jane Falls.  It is 2 miles out and 2 miles back.  The elevation change is about 1000 feet  (300+ m)  The views from that hike are amazing!  My wife, daughter and I had a great time and I already look forward to next year! 

Happy Trails everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment