About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Who Says You Can't Go Back

Dean  (the husband)
Shalane  (the wife  :o)

What would you do if you were confronted by a gorilla?  For us, the answer is easy.   We would take them to the Crawford County Fair.  Okay, the ’gorilla’ that I am talking about is my daughter.  Before you get too upset about how mean-spirited I am, let me explain.  My oldest child is in her last year at Pittsburg State University.  The mascot for that school is a gorilla.  She is a beautiful young woman and in no way resembles the jungle creature.  We considered it a wonderful joy and blessing to spend some time with her and her boyfriend.  We were so lucky to get to see both of our daughters on this trip.  They are beautiful, powerful young women, and we are so proud of both of them.
Hannah and Shalane

Shalane and Maresa
Maresa and her boyfriend, John
 Our last full day in my hometown started out by spending some more time with our dear friend, Mishelle.  In the afternoon, we went over to visit my mother.  It is amazing how things have changed on the farm where I spent my teenage years.  It is hardly recognizable. Still, it was great to enjoy the company of my mom in that wonderful place full of childhood memories.  
Dean and his mom
It has been about five years since my last visit to the old homestead, and so much has been altered, yet some things in the area remain untouched by time.  For example, Chicken Mary’s, one of our family’s favorite places to eat, is still there and still hiring friendly people to serve great food.  Their German potato salad is something that I have always enjoyed, so we didn’t argue when my mother insisted that she take us there for dinner. 
http://local.yahoo.com/info-17958993-chicken-marys-pittsburg
Today is the day that we will be heading back toward the mountains and cooler air.  We will stop somewhere in western Kansas tonight and be in the Rockies sometime late tomorrow.  We have thoroughly loved being with our family and friends, and have enjoyed the pleasure of their company.  However, we have also missed our mountains and do look forward to being surrounded by their majestic peaks again.  Happy Trails!

1 comment:

  1. Wow seems like you guys had a great visit. its almost always fun going back home after a few years. I look foward to reading your blog, and following your adventures. thanks for taking us all along.

    ReplyDelete