About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The six reasons why we chose a Solar Generator over a Gas Generator

 Dean (the husband) Shalane (the wife)

Since our blog is all about going 'green', you are probably wondering why a solar generator would have 5 other reasons other than just that, going green.  There are a number of things that came under consideration, and here they are:

1. UPKEEP COSTS ARE MUCH LESS
Although a gas generator with as much or more power can cost much less upfront ($300 to $1500), looking at the big picture, after adding the cost of gas, oil, spark plugs etc.,  the upkeep cost could really add up quickly if I were to use the generator often.  (I plan to use it almost daily.) The Powersource 1800 solar generator that I chose cost $1697 but has no costs to operate it.  (The batteries may need to be replaced after 5+ years, but that is all that I can think of for extra costs.)  

2. SOLAR GENERATORS CAN BE USED INSIDE
  I can use a solar generator indoors.  With a loud, pollution filled gas generator that would not be an option.

3. SOLAR GENERATORS ARE NOT RESTRICTED
Tied to that, a solar generator can be used in virtually all campgrounds, because it doesn't smell or make any noise. (The only noise I hear is when a tiny fan kicks on sometimes to keep the generator coo.l)  There are resrtictions at many campgrounds about gas generator use.  

4. STARTS PAYING FOR ITSELF IMMEDIATELY
It will cut back on utility bills.  As full time RVers, we often stay in one place months at a time and pay a monthly fee for the site, but we pay a separate fee for electricity.  By plugging in our laptop, lamps, fan, etc., to the generator, it's a great way to save.

5. GREAT FOR USE IN AN EMERGENCY
I will be able to use the solar generator in almost any emergency situation.  For instance, after an ice storm it can sometimes take a few days to get electric power back, but  I won't have to worry about conquering icy roads to get gas.   If the entire grid goes down, I won't have to worry about whether or not I have the fuel I need.

6. FINALLY, IT IS GOOD FOR THE EARTH
 It runs off of a renewable resource and it does not throw off pollutants, so I can feel good about going green and doing our small part in saving our earth's environment.  

Now, I do want to point out a couple of things that you should know.   If you plan on using it ONLY in emergency situations, don't just buy it and stick it in the closet until you need it.  I say this, not because it is difficult to set up, but because it must be charged using an electric current, and then depleted, at least 3 times before you plug in the solar panel.

Lastly, the time that it takes to recharge the solar generator is about 5 hours, so it's good to plan a little ahead of time when you're going to need it.  Obviously, this is just an average.  With more directly sunlight it could be less and with a cloudy day it could be more.  Overall, we have been VERY pleased with this generator.  I did hours upon hours of research before choosing this particular model and have not regretted the decision.  Again, if I've missed anything, or if you have any specific questions, please leave a comment, and I will be happy to respond.

I have to add that when Dean told me what he was buying and how much it cost, I wasn't so sure it was a great idea.  I didn't think a solar generator could produce much power, and I thought the panel would be too cumbersome and too fragile. I also couldn't imagine that it would be small enough or quiet enough to use in the RV.  I was wrong on all accounts.  My husband was right on the money with this one, and I'm so glad we have it.  I guess he's more than just a pretty face.  :O)  He's also good for baiting my hooks and cleaning the fish I catch.  He doesn't catch as many as I do, because he's too busy taking the fish off my pole.  As it turns out, he's smart, handsome and handy.  :O)  Oh, we did post a link for the Powersource 1800 if you want to check it out.  They should totally pay us for this awesome ad we just posted for them.  I don't know what our blog will be about tomorrow, but, until then, Happy Trails! 

2 comments:

  1. How much power can this baby put out? And, why hasn't Annie found it yet?

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, are you guys affiliates? You should be, if not.

    ReplyDelete