About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Monday, June 6, 2011

Working with our solar oven

Dean (the husband)  Shalane (the wife)
Yesterday, we cooked food with our solar oven.  It was our first attempt at it, and I think it was a success.  It was a couple of eggs which we made into an egg sandwich.  It was good.  It did take about 45 minutes, but it proved to me that it can be done.  The eggs didn't look done, so, by the time I took them out, they were hard enough for an egg sandwich.  That wasn't my original intent, but that's ok.  Point being, over medium, which is what I was shooting for, would probably only take about 35-40 minutes.  I shouldn't have taken a picture of them!  What was I thinking?  :O)  Here are a few things that I learned my first time out.  1) Set the pan or skillet on a small rack to give the hot air the opportunity to circulate underneath.  2) It is very important that you use a black (or dark) pan or skillet.  3)  Have patience because it will take a little time to get it hot.  He's talking to me here.  Patience is not my strong suit.  It doesn't produce instant heat as it is not sitting on a flame. Still, I was excited to see that it does work.  I also heated a pot of water.  It was extremely hot although it did not boil.  Still, if I had a can of stew and needed to get it to the point that I could have a hot meal, this would definitely work.   I do feel like if we were somewhere boondocking and firewood was not available or allowed, this would work great for a hot meal. You just have to start your lunch right when you're finished with breakfast.  I'm gonna try some roast and potatoes soon.  I'll start them early in the morning and let you know how many days it takes. lol  Just kidding.  I think they'll be ready for dinner if I cut the meat and potatoes in small pieces.  I'm actually really looking forward to trying it! I like the solar oven that we chose, as it is very light weight (around a pound), less than a $100, comes in a very small carrying case, set up  takes less than a minute.  Now, I know there are other more expensive solar ovens that are much better in terms of producing more heat, but I didn't want to load down the truck with a bulky, heavier item. Needless to say, if anything happens where we have no access to another heat source, I will be glad that I have this oven. He's right!  I wanted a bigger, better one, but this one serves it's purpose and is super easy to lug around.  This is an area where I know that my wife and I will disagree, but I am sure she will let you know how she feels about it.  :) Mostly I just disagree on the fact that he doesn't put a nose on his smiley faces.  My smiley face has a nose.  :O)  Anyway, we'll let you know how the cooking goes.  Until then, happy trails!

2 comments:

  1. This is going on my wish list! Thanks for the product review and PLEASE tell us how the meat turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool. It's definitely a good thing to have.

    ReplyDelete