About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Consider Full-Time RV Living Now!

My wife was talking the other day to someone about being a parent.  She mentioned that she finally thinks that she is starting to understand the best way to raise children.  Sadly, our children are already adults, and we will get no 'redos'.   This raises the question of 'when'.  When would have been the best time to start our family.  Obviously, there is no correct answer.  Had we waited until our 40's we probably would have been too old to truly enjoy a lot of things that we did with our children when they were small.

I think the same thing can be said of full-time RVing.  If we had decided to wait until both of us had retired, I would have been in my 70's and what we would have done while traveling certainly would have changed.  I remember when I was 29, I got out of teaching for a year and became a ski bum.  I purchased a season ski pass.  I recall often going to the top of Keystone Mountain with some friends. We would  slide as fast as we could all the way down the steep, icy terrain without stopping.  At age 29, I could feel my legs burning at the bottom of the slope.  It didn't seem to bother me too much though, because we immediately went right back up to the top to do the same thing almost everyday.   If I would have waited to retire to adopt this lifestyle, I'm reasonably sure that going as fast as I can just once down the mountain would have been enough per week (or month)!

I am reminded of an old TV show from my youth.  It was a comedy called. "Mork and Mindy."  The main character played by Robin Williams was an alien.  On his world, people were hatched from an egg as an elderly person.   Over the course of their lifetime, the became younger and younger.  As they got older their stamina actually increased until their final years as a baby infant.  I can only imagine what the retirement communities would look like on that planet.  Signs on condo complexes would read, "Restricted Age Community, no gray haired people need apply."  An interesting world, huh???

Now I consider myself to be physically fit man for being in his fifties.   However, with each passing year, I wake up more and more saying, "Wow that sure hurts, I never felt soreness there before."   It has been said living in our youth would be  the perfect situation if it would only happen a little later in life.  However, life does not work that way.  I hope that everyone who is considering a move to this lifestyle will keep this in mind.  You don't have to rush off and do something crazy today.   However, you can start taking steps today in that direction instead of saying that you will give it some thought when you retire in a few years.  Start imagining yourself living the dream now!  It will amaze you what unexpected things will transpire to assist in getting you there.  Happy Trails!

By the way, we will be putting together an eBook of sorts on making the transition to full-time living and living green.  We hope to have it out toward the end of this summer.  We will keep you posted.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment