About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Monday, July 18, 2011

How to Stay Cool on the Hot Summer Plains?

As we drove out of the cool dry mountains a couple of days ago, one of the first things that we noticed was IT WAS HOT!!!  We truly had been spoiled by our time in the mountains.  We want to continue our boondocking ways but it has proven to be a more formidable task than I had anticipated.  In fact, the title of this blog is more of a question than a statement.   I would love to hear comments from people that live without an air conditioner in hot humid places, and what they do to stay cool.    However, I will share with you a plan that I have to solve this dilemma. I actually got the idea online from looking at how tent campers stay cool using an air conditioner. 

First of all, I must say that I will not be able to boondock using this strategy.  It will require that I be hooked into at least a 15 amp socket.  The reason is that I have purchased a 5000 BTU air conditioner that I plan to set up in the back of my truck.  This will require a lot more wattage than my solar generator can produced.  However, by looking at my favorite low cost campground finder (www.freecampgrounds.com), I hope to be able to find a spot to set up camp.  The real question for me was how to set up the A/C unit so it will cool down the area in the back of the truck. The answer I think will involve a tarp, Velcro, and maybe, a little duct tape.

Tomorrow we will be heading to Kansas to spend some time with my sister-in-law.  I hope to be able to work on this project as soon as possible.  There are so many beautiful places in the area to visit, especially in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri.  I will keep you posted on how my plan is coming together.  It should prove interesting.  Until then, Happy Trails!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment