About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Random Thoughts...

Every now and then, it is a good idea to get back to your roots.  We have spent the last 5 years living in Las Vegas.  Something it seems is always happening there.  Most of the talent shows on television today give their contestants a trip to “Sin City” if there are deemed good enough at their opening auditions.   However, what they fail to mention is the traffic, police sirens, graffiti, etc., that is also found there.  Trying to live a more laid back, simple life is hard to do in a city like that.

Last night, we took the time to do a little fishing at a community lake near Altamont, Kansas.  We went with my sister-in-law and a couple of her kids.  I got the impression that most of the evening we were the only ones there.  The wind was calm and it was hot and humid even at 9 pm.  Still it was a peaceful twilight, filled with the sounds of bullfrogs, crickets, and kids playing.  It helped me to remember my younger days growing up in southeast Kansas.  No fish were caught, but it didn’t matter.  It was the ‘feeling’ that was most cherished. 

I did have a chance this morning to work on my air conditioning venture.  I have figured out how it will all fit together now.  As soon as the project is finished, I will provide further information, complete with pictures.  Related to this,  I discovered  a little bit of unexpected good news this morning.  I was looking at the side of the little 5000 BTU air conditioner that we had bought for this project.  It shows that it requires 515 watts and 4.6 amps to operate.  I believe these two values are within the range of operation for our solar generator.    Now, I do not think that the solar generator’s battery pack will last long at these levels, but in a pinch it could help to cool down the shell of the truck enough to get a nice start on a good night’s sleep.  My guess is that the generator would last only an hour on a full charge.  However, if  the solar panel was setup and producing electricity while the sun was still out, that time could be extended. 

We are still staying in my sister-in-laws house, (in fact, my wife is out with her today) so we will have to  wait until our next trip to try out our air conditioner.  In about 7 days though, we do plan to take the truck to the Ozark Mountains of southern Missouri for a mini-vacation.  At that time, I will be able to better assess the success (or failure) of the A/C undertaking.  Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment