About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Friday, July 1, 2011

4 Reasons Why Full-time RV Life is Good for Your Relationship- (there are many more)

Dean  (the husband)
Shalane  (the wife  :O)

My wife and I have met many people over the past year and have had the opportunity to share with them the enthusiasm we have for living in a travel trailer full-time.  As you might imagine, many people want to know why anyone would live in such tight quarters with their spouse.  When they find out we are teachers, many of them assume it is because we are too poor to own a regular home.  rofl Good one, Babe!  They are surprised to find out that we actually own four rental houses.  The simple fact remains, we love living in an RV, because we enjoy being around each other.



Those of you that have read our earlier blogs know that we describe each other as best friends.  In fact, each morning, I hold my wife’s hand and thank our Heavenly Father for blessing me with being able to spend each day with the most beautiful woman in the world.  It's true, he does.  I'm a lucky girl.  As I think of the last 20 days or so, less than 8 hours have been spent without her within 26 feet of me.  (26 feet is the size of our travel trailer.) Living in an RV with my wife is one of the biggest perks of this lifestyle.  I think when I have pms, he wishes the trailer were just a little bit bigger so that he would have a place escape.
If you are considering a jump into full-time RVing but are unsure if living with someone in such a confined space is a good idea, then let me give you some advantages to consider.
1) Memories- There have been times when we have seen a remarkable view, or have had a great experience of some kind with, and after awhile, we forget about it.  Then, something will trigger that memory in one of us, and we will share it with each other.  Many times I have thought to myself that if she had not remembered it, I don't know if  I would have ever recalled it on my own.  Plus, I'm the one that takes all the pictures.  :O)  Without those, it would be so much more difficult to remember things.
Dean's right, it's really fun when your partner brings up a memory that you haven't thought about in a long time.  

2) Splitting the Unpleasant Tasks-  My wife hates laundry with a passion.  That's NOT an exaggeration.  However, I use to work in a laundromat  in college, and it really doesn’t bother me at all.  I didn't know you use to work in a laundromat!  My wife empties out the black tank.  I know in most RV households it's just the opposite.  The wife does the laundry, and the husband takes care of the tanks.  The truth is that my wife has a much, much more sensitive sense of smell than I do.  I don’t know why, but she just started taking care of that task on her own.  Perhaps, I didn’t do it well enough or maybe she was just grateful that I do the laundry.  BOTH!  I don’t know, but either way, we have a good arrangement that really works for us.  Splitting the tasks can be a wonderful thing.

3) Communication-  I feel like a lot of couples lose the spark that bought them together in the first place.  Too often they end up going to opposite rooms in their house and isolating themselves from each other.  I remember times when we lived in a house that we actually text each other from room to room instead of actually talking face to face.  Living in an RV full-time keeps this from happening.  Even though Shalane might be doing something else in the trailer, she is always in sight.  When something crosses one of our minds, we can and do share it right then.  We don’t have to think that we will need to try to communicate it later when we see each other.  It's not a mystery that communication is the key to any successful relationship.  When you're in a smaller space, you automatically communicate more.

4) Sharing Interests-  I decided to take up oil painting a year ago.  My wife was very supportive of this, as I would share my paintings, she started thinking that it might be something that she would like to try.  We started painting together.  TV shows are another thing that we've found we enjoy together.  Shalane started watching a show called “Swamp People.”  I thought that it would be a show that I would have no interest in ever watching, but because I couldn't escape it, now, every Thursday we look forward to watching it together.  I guess what I am trying to say is that in a “regular” house, there is a good chance that these things would never have happened.  I would go to one side of the house and do what I wanted, and she would go to the other side of the house and do what she wanted.  However, thanks to the close proximity that we have to each other, we share things all the time!  We flirt a lot too.  ;O)

I hope that each of you that consider transitioning to this wonderful lifestyle, focus in on the positives that can come from this way of living.  I consider it to be one of the greatest blessings in my life!  Ditto!  Happy Trails!

RV Park Reviews - RVThereYet

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post! Glad to see that you are getting such wonders! *envy*

    ReplyDelete