About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Just How Important is Independence Day?

Dean (the husband)
Shalane (the wife)

For most people it is very easy to identify the things that they don’t have.   They can look across the street and see a lot of things that their neighbor has that they don’t.  They can go to a mall of a department store and see things that they don’t have.  I use to be stuck in that rut.  We seem to be programmed to always want more.  I always thought that if every room in my house didn’t look like the cover of a home décor magazine, that I was somehow less of a woman and hadn’t been successful in life.  What a hoax!  I’m so glad that I got past that, but many people never do.  They just keep trying to get more and “keep up with the Jones.”  Well, let the Jones work their butts off for a whole lot of meaningless possessions, and just give me a bed in the back of a truck so that I can travel around and see the true beauty the world has to offer. However, I would like to suggest today that everyone take the time to reflect on the many blessings that have been given them in their lives.   Okay!  Easy!  Hannah, Maresa, DJ, Dean and the rest of the people that I love and that love me!  Other blessings that I enjoy are my career, faith, freedom, good health and working taste buds so that I can enjoy fried chicken, mashed potatoes and chocolate!

Yesterday, my wife and I had the pleasure of being with dear friends on Independence Day near Twin Falls, Idaho.  We started the morning by going to the church for a 4th of July holiday breakfast.   Delicious!  Pancakes, sausage and scrambled eggs.  While there, we sang patriotic songs and heard from a gentleman who suggested that we remember all the souls that fought and died for our country.  The speaker also shared the story and  inspiration behind our National Anthem.  The rest of the morning we enjoyed fun activities such as face painting, a 3-legged race, a “hands off” pie eating contest, and other fun activities. 

Not wanting the fun to end there, we decided that early in the evening we would go to the Snake River to do some fishing.  We found a perfect spot to cast in our lines and pulled in several little perch and trout until just before dusk when we decided to call it quits and head over to the fireworks show.  A local radio station provided a series of patriotic songs that played during the display.  As the fireworks went off above us, I remembered the words of the speaker earlier that day as he told what had inspired Francis Scott Key to write our National Anthem.  I recalled that Key was motivated to pen a poem as he watched the British Naval vessels launch their cannon fodder toward a small American fort.  Despite all the impressive fire power of the British Naval ships,  Ft. McHenry did not fall.  As I watched the explosions over head, I  pictured in my mind, what Francis Scott Key must have witnessed. 

When it was over, I contemplated how lucky I was to be able to enjoy that day.  It had nothing to do with the things I owned.  It had everything to do with the freedoms that my wife and I enjoy.  Hanging out with friends, going to a small town community pancake feed, fishing in the Snake River, and seeing a small city fireworks show may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but having the freedom to do these sorts of things is something that we can all value.  I hope that all of us take the time to truly appreciate our blessings and our freedoms everyday.  Happy Trails!  

No comments:

Post a Comment