About Me

My photo
Full-time RVers- Full-time Friends (Married over 20 years, TO EACH OTHER!)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 3 Crossing Utah, Heading to Kansas (Looking Into the Past Before Moving Forward)

Dean  (the husband)
Shalane  (the wife  :O)

Although we didn’t take in many miles today toward our Kansas destination, we just couldn’t pass up the chance to check out Mesa Verde National Park.  For those of you unfamiliar with this National Park, it’s the one that showcases the cliff dwelling Native Americans of long ago.   As a history teacher I am fascinated by the story that’s told.  I, being scared of heights, decided that the Native Americans that lived clinging to the side of the cliffs were straight up out of their minds!

Let me back up.  To begin the day, we visited the Workforce Services office where I used to work  in Blanding, Utah.  I worked there about 15 years ago, and I was hoping that some of my old co-workers would still be there.  No such luck.  However, it turned out that the son of my supervisor is now the head man there.  It was fun to share with him a couple of my stories about his father.   I stayed in the truck, and admired all of the beautiful pictures I had taken.  :O) 

Next in our journey was a trip to Monticello, Utah, where we once called home.  We found the apartment building where we lived when we first moved there.  It was even worst than it was back then.   The kids were 2 and 4 when we lived there, so it was strange to see it again after so many years.  I remember when my parents would drive by places and tell us about how old we were when we used to live there and generally revisit memory lane.  It was SO boring, and it made them seem VERY old.  I was kinda feeling old today when Dean and I were now doing the same thing.  We then went to the house that we had bought those many years ago.  It is now an empty lot as it had been torn down for some sort of commercial development.  So much for reliving the good ole’ days.  DJ’s preschool was still there.  He was so cute, still is! 

We then made our way to the National Park.  As we drove through that park and viewed the "little towns" built into the side of the mountains, I kept trying to imagine what it must have been like to live like that so many years ago.  As I sit in my chair writing this blog, I can’t help wonder if I am really roughing it.   I have a solar generator, solar shower, and solar oven  in which to cook.  We are in an awesome boondocking area in a national forest between Mancos and Durango, Colorado.  There are no amenities here.  That’s why it is free, I guess.  However, I do feel like I’m cheating when compared to what the Native Americans had.  (We stayed in the San Juan National Forrest, off Cherry Creek Rd, just west of Durango.)



Tomorrow, we will go across our highest mountain pass yet, as we cross the Continental Divide.  I’m sure my wife will have another 200 pictures to choose from for our blog.  Do I hear a TONE of mocking or perhaps sarcasm?  He’s jealous of my skills, it’s clear.  I could try to teach him how to use the camera as well as I do, but I just don‘t have that kind of patients.  Lol  Just kidding, Babe! Dean‘s right.  I do LOVE taking pictures, and I am slightly protective of my camera.  :O)   We’ll "see" you tomorrow!  Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment